Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Middle Earth and Paris: Two Reviews

I have lots of ideas about Sgt. Fiana Thrace and the Environmental Crimes Division. I have every intention of working on that story. However right now, I'm stuck in a reading mode right now. As such, I'm going to be posting some reviews of what I have been reading.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit Photo Credit: Goodreads

I somehow had the mistaken notion that this was a boys book and therefore not interesting to me. I was completely wrong! I'm actually a little sad that it took me this long to get over that faulty notion. On the strong recommendation of a couple friends and my husband, I finally caved in and read the book. I LOVED IT!!

My Goodreads Review:

I can not believe that it has taken me so long to read this book. The detail is a bit overwhelming at first. However, you quickly become immersed in this new world where the danger is there, but the story teller keeps your feet from the fire. You are at a comfortable distance from the danger so that you do not feel the need to stop reading. The character of Bilbo changes and expands in a natural movement with the story. The character of some of the dwarves, elves, and so on remain a bit illusive until the end. 

After reading this one, I am even considering reading the trilogy. 

If you have not yet read this book, do yourself a favor and read it. It is a delightful story that is well written and well paced.


Book Description

 November 8, 2012
This lavish gift edition of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic features cover art, illustrations, and watercolor paintings by the artist Alan Lee.
Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum.
Written for J.R.R. Tolkien's own children, The Hobbit has sold many millions of copies worldwide and established itself as a modern classic.

Product Details

  • File Size: 6964 KB
  • Print Length: 316 pages
  • Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0395873460
  • Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; 114th edition (November 8, 2012)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B009VN1Q00


(I reviewed this book on my own and did not receive a copy from any publisher.)

The Paris Lawyer

 Photo Credit: Amazon

I think a few weeks ago I mentioned that I wasn't a big fan a books set in France. This one unfortunately is no exception. 

My Goodreads Review:

It could be a great summer read for some people. The characters are all very unique and unlike any that I have read in other novels. The main character Catherine is fighting for the rights of others, even if she is doing it for her own reasons. The mystery does seem to be multi-layered. And the bad guy slowly reveals himself. 

I did notice there were a couple times when the point of view shifted to a different character unnecessarily. And several of the men were very creepy. Catherine was not really a favorite either. So I didn't finish the book. 

It wasn't for me, but maybe some who have a broader reading preferences would like it.

Book Description

 July 2, 2012

Winner of the Grand Prix Sang d’Encre crime fiction award in 2011, for the first time in English.

As a child, Catherine Monsigny was the only witness to a heinous crime. Now, she is an ambitious rookie attorney in sophisticated modern-day Paris. On the side, she does pro bono work and hits the jackpot: a major felony case that could boost her career. A black woman is accused of poisoning her rich farmer husband in a peaceful village in central France, where the beautiful, rolling hills hold dark secrets. While preparing the case, Catherine’s own past comes back with a vengeance. This fast- paced story follows Catherine’s determined search for the truth in both her case and her own life. Who can she believe? And can you ever escape from your past? The story twists and turns, combining subtle psychological insight with a detailed sense of place.

Product Details

  • File Size: 517 KB
  • Print Length: 316 pages
  • Publisher: Le French Book (July 2, 2012)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B008H3QNSU


Disclaimer: I received a free copy (after I requested it) from NetGalley in exchange for a review. The opinions are my own and are in no way influenced by anything other than the book. And I added the links to Amazon because that is where I reviewed it. I was not asked by Amazon, NetGalley, or any affiliate to add the links to Amazon.

2 comments:

A Stopher said...

I have been meaning to read the Hobbit as well! I think I did, once upon a time, but it's been so long I don't remember a lot of it. Loved the LOTR movie trilogy and the first Hobbit movie as well that just came out. Side note, I have this book Wool (http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-Edition-Silo-ebook/dp/B0071XO8RA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1373031411&sr=1-1&keywords=wool) on Kindle I can 'lend' you if it sounds interesting. I really enjoyed it. Even if you don't have a kindle you can read it on a computer if that doesn't bug you. Sometimes I prefer to have an actual book in hand though.

Andrea Ward said...

I do have a Kindle and I would like to borrow it, but not now. I just requested like 4 books to read and review! I will remember though. Thanks!

And The Hobbit was one I preferred to have in hand. I started on the Kindle and borrowed it from a friend, but decided to get a copy for myself!